Monday 10 July 2017

Our Mediterranean Cruise 2017 - Part 1

Day 1 - Home to Palma.

So, here we go again! It's holiday time and I hate it! My regular reader will know that I hate going on holiday - I love "being" on holiday - I just hate the anxiety of "going". The "what ifs" and the "have you packed?" I drive my family crazy! However, when we reach the point of no return, i.e. the suitcases have disappeared behind that flappy curtain, like a cheap funeral for luggage, then that's it - game on!

This year after many a year on coach holidays, we decided, or I was told, to be more precise; "no more coaches! Instead, let's do a cruise!"

So here I am, sat on a ship in Barcelona. This is our second day, yesterday we flew into Palma, Majorca and transferred to our ship; the TUI Discovery.

First impressions? Like Butlins at sea!! It is your archetypal and stereotypical British holidaymakers, but abroad, but at home - if you get my drift? The cruise ship appears to be an English resort, transported to sunnier climes. Having said that, although I was somewhat dismayed by the awful sight of the tattoo'd masses herding around the smoking deck, it was not all like that.
I know this makes me sound like an enormous snob, which I'm not really. I used to smoke, I grew up in council housing, I am from a working class background - I've just grown up, trying to better oneself and to improve the life for my family - this isn't doing me any favours is it? It's like this, there are definite areas of class on board ship and I like the better bits.

Anyway, back to Palma and getting aboard. There was some quiet efficiency going on as we boarded; cruise cards were issued, ID photos taken, debit card details linked to your cruise card. To elaborate, it's an all inclusive cruise - but not everything is included. So should you have something outside of the all inclusive deal, it'll be charged to your cruise card, which is your passport off and on the ship, your method of authentication when ordering drinks, plus it also doubles as your payment method when you purchase anything from the on board shops or facilities and as it's linked to a debit card, so there's no chance of you not getting billed on the last day! All those extras you got will soon show up on the next bank statement

We have a deluxe balcony cabin!

I would have to look up the definition of deluxe though, as it may have a different meaning at sea! The pull out sofa bed can hardly be classed as deluxe, but it was for our daughter and she didn't complain. The cabin is comfortable, tidy, clean and well maintained. On board there are lots of things to see and do; bars a-plenty although, and back to the Butlins analogy here, you need to get there early if you want a seat!

Waking up in Barcelona was great, open the curtains and you have a totally different view to what you went to bed with! Trying to find a table for breakfast was not so great! It was virtually impossible, but I guess first timers like us and those who have just joined, all have the same idea and head to Islands buffet restaurant - horrendous! Literally hundreds of passengers milling around with half a plate of breakfast, trying to find a seat. They've only got half a plate, due to the fact they've been eating it whilst shuffling around. (More on food later in the blog, we learn a few things and things start to look up).

Anyway, onward and starboard! Let's see what today brings.


Day 2 - Barcelona

What a day! We are currently travelling along the eastern seaboard of northern Spain, heading for France. It is half past ten at night, as I sit here writing, reflecting on the day. As I said before, breakfast was impossible, everybody trying to eat at the same time, it left us eating outside with the smokers alongside the swimming pool, it was far from ideal and clearly pushing our respective "tetchy" buttons. However, we rose above the annoyance and took our frustration out on the mini-golf on deck 10. Yes, there's a mini golf course on board. It's just next to the climbing wall. (Yes, there's one of them too!)

Little Miss Dave AND Mrs Dave took on the challenge of the climbing wall. Very impressive efforts from both of them. Very proud I was. Health and safety prevented me from having a go. Not my health and safety, but that of the man on the other end of the rope! It had nothing to do with the safety harness not being able to get around my fuller frame. Don't they know it's all inclusive cruise, get bigger harnesses!

We then ventured into the Glass House and the cooling comfort of the indoor pool, which we had all to ourselves. Followed by a quick dip in the whirlpool hot tub. See? Things are looking up. We then popped back up to deck 10, above the main deck, to enjoy some Barcelona sunshine, which was a little hot for me, but one cannot complain. After that we headed for a bite to eat and then hopped off the ship, just to say that we had actually "landed" in Barcelona.

After a quick shower and a read or a trip to the shops, dependent on your gender, we headed into 47° - one of two main waiter service restaurants on board. And oh my word, what an amazing experience. A much more civilised affair. Exquisite waiter service, in very opulent surroundings, not tacky or too glitzy. I ordered a glass of wine with my meal - which got refilled every time it neared the empty stage, I soon lost count of how many times it had been topped up! The food was lovely, the waiting staff so attentive, the Chardonnay seemingly bottomless. When we headed out of the restaurant, I wasn't sure if the ship was swaying, or it was me!

We decided to pop down to Venue, one of the show bars to see what entertainment was on offer. Now it could have been the refreshing sea air, or it could have been due to ebullient atmosphere of my fellow passengers, or it could even have been the copious amounts of Chardonnay quaffed, but somehow, the quiet unassuming me said "yes", when asked if I'd like to be on stage and be a captain in the forthcoming music quiz.

What have I done?


Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment